Signs & Symptoms of a Hearing Impairment in Children:
- The child may experience frequent ear infections.
- The child may find it difficult to identify or locate certain sounds./li>
- The child may watch TV at a really high volume.
- The child may have behavioural issues, displaying inattentiveness and disruptive behaviour.
- The child’s speech may sound different.
- The child’s vocabulary may consist many words that are often missing endings.
Some known causes of Hearing Impairment are:
- A family history of hearing loss.
- Frequent and/or recurring ear infections as an infant or toddler.
- Some antibiotics and chemotherapy treatments that may have hearing loss as one of the side effects.
- Meningitis, Measles and CMV (Cytomegalovirus) infection.
- Some syndromes and disabilities have have also been associated with causing hearing loss, such as down syndrome, Pervasive Development Disorder,Autism, Alport syndrome and Crouzon syndrome.